Coconut Pumpkin Chicken
Making healthy meals with the typical hectic day can be a real challenge. This meal is full of healthy medium chain triglycerides, fiber, and protein, vitamin C, and vitamin A. And as an added bonus it can be made in about 20 minutes, plus another 20-25 minutes of simmer time.
2 lbs skinless boneless chicken breast or thighs
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups + 1/2 cup chicken broth
2 containers fajita mix sliced onion and red and green peppers
1 can organic pumpkin
1 can coconut milk
1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari sauce
10 garlic cloves
1 bag frozen peas
juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon fined chopped fresh cilantro
1) Season chicken breasts liberally with sea salt and black pepper.
2) Brown chicken breast in olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat (about 2 minutes per side). You do not want to cook them through, just brown them on both sides.
3) Remove chicken from pot and deglaze with 1/2 cup of chicken broth, making sure to scrap up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
4) Add onions, red peppers, and green peppers to pan and cooked covered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5) While veggies cook cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
6) Add pressed garlic to taste. (I used 10 garlic cloves but if you are a vampire or don't like flavor feel free to use less.) Cooked about 2 minutes or until garlic becomes fragrant.
7) Add chicken broth, soy sauce, pumpkin, and coconut milk to veggies, stirring until incorporated and smooth.
8) Add chicken, frozen peas, lime juice, and cilantro. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened (about 20-30 minutes), stirring occasionally.
9) Serve over rice or roasted butternut squash.